lightroom smart previews
OUTSOURCING WITH CONFIDENCE
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Samples, samples, samples. The key to having a catalog returned back to you looking amazing is to provide a variety of samples showcasing your style throughout the entire catalog.
- Don't procrastinate on sending your catalog. Leave time for processing, approving, tweaking, unforeseen technology blips, etc.
- Communication is incredibly important. Please feel free to alway reach out to me with any questions or concerns. I consider myself part of your team and I am always happy to help.
- Trust the process. I know how hard it is to let go!
STeps for creating a lightroom smart preview
Lightroom Smart Previews not only make file sharing a breeze, but they also allow you total control over the final product.
Import your files
Start by creating a new Lightroom Catalog for every job. Import your files into Lightroom by going to FILE --> IMPORT. Cull if you are planning to do so. To cull I usually mark my files with a flag or a star. If you want me to cull for you just worry about importing and getting all of your files into Lightroom.
Create samples in your catalog. Your samples will be used as a "map" for editing the rest of your event. Make sure to include edits throughout the entire catalog. Mark your samples with a color, star, or a flag so that I can easily find your edits.
If you culled your files, separate your final cull from the rest of your images. You will only be sending your culled images. If you are sending the entire job, don't worry about separating. All images that need to be included in the Smart Preview will need to be highlighted. To do this go to
EDIT --> SELECT ALL. Your images will be highlighted and ready for creating a Smart Preview.
Create your smart preview
Time to create your Smart Preview! Go to FILE --> EXPORT AS CATALOG. Name your catalog and save it to your desktop or external hard drive. Include your name and the name of your job (i.e. Beaupre Edits - Bill and Rose Wedding Catalog).
Three options are available at the bottom of the dialog window: Export Negative Files, Build/Include Smart Previews, and Include Available Previews. Make sure that ONLY Build/Include Smart Previews and Include Available Previews are checked. Click EXPORT CATALOG at the bottom right of your box.
Creating the Smart Preview takes a little bit of time. You can watch the progress at the top left of your Lightroom screen. This would be a perfect time to email me to let me know that you have a catalog on the way.
Locate your Catalog
Locate your exported catalog on your desktop or external hard drive. Send your files on over using your MASV portal account. More information about MASV portals can be found below on this page.
Relax your catalog is in good hands.
While I work on your files, spend this time doing ______. Maybe it will be creating that blog post that you have been wanting to do, taking a minute to update your social media, spending time with your family, or doing something for yourself.
steps for opening your edited lightroom smart preview
Open your catalog, watch your files come to life, make any adjustments needed, and send off to your clients. You are in complete control of the final product.
Yay! Your catalog is ready! You will receive your files from me with your edited catalog. It will come back to you from the same platform that uploaded it to. Open your new edited Lightroom catalog. Review your files and make any tweaks that you feel you may need.
It is important to make sure that your catalog is connected back to your RAW files when you receive it back from me. In the bottom left corner of the histogram box check to make sure it says Smart Preview + Original. If it does say that your catalog is connected to your original files and you are able export into JPEGS. You can move on to the step EXPORT. If it just says Smart Preview move on to the step, HOW TO CONNECT.
HOW TO CONNECT
In your catalog click on the rectangle symbol that is located in the upper right corner of any image. A dialog box will pop up. Click "locate" to find your images. Go through the steps to locate this specific image file from your original RAW folder. Lightroom will work to connect the images files and the rectangle icon disappears. This step could take a few minutes.
Export your files into high resolution JPEGS and send off your finished gallery to your clients!
sending and receiving files using masv
All you need to do is drag and drop. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Are you ready to quickly transfer your catalog off for editing? The process is quick and easy.
- Send me an email to let me know that you are ready to get started.
- I will create your portal for transferring files. Once the portal is created you will receive an email from MASV.
- Click on the link that is provided in the email. An image just like the one to the left will pop up.
- Drag and drop your catalog files. No need to zip!
- Add in your email address in the box provided.
- In the package settings write the package name i.e Jen and John Wedding and notes about the catalog can be added to the message.
- Click send package.
- Once your catalog is complete I will send it back using MASV. You will receive an email notification with a download link.
- The time you have to download your files will be limited. Please make sure to have your catalogs off in 5 days from it being sent to you. They will automatically delete.
- Your portal is a URL address and can be bookmarked for convenience.
- Here is a sample of a portal address: andreabeauprephoto.portal.massive.io. Your portal will be custom to you. In this example andreabeauprephoto is a name of a portal that I created. When you are ready to send another catalog just use the same portal link (URL) as provided from the original setup in your browser.
masv desktop app for for RAW FILE or catalogs
The MASV app is not bound by the limitations of a web browser, it is more efficient and reliable. If you are planning on sending RAW files and receiving JPEGS in return for outsourcing I would encourage you to download the desktop app.
- Go to MASV Desktop App and download the MASV app on either macOS, Windows, or Linux.
- Follow the download instructions on your computer.
- From here there are two ways to send me your files.
CREATING AN ACCOUNT
- Create a MASV account and sign-in.
- To upload, drag-and-drop files and folders onto the main app homepage or press the ‘Send’ button.
- To download, press the ‘Receive’ button and paste the download link or select ‘Open MASV app’ when downloading from a web browser.
- or -
SEND TO PORTAL
- In the app click on the Send to Portal icon.
- In URL type your portal name. For example in the above instructions it was andreabeauprephoto
- Click continue.
- Drag and drop your files or navigate to your file folder by clicking the plus sign.
- Once your catalog/photos have been uploaded add your email and click the small dropdown above your email to add your package name and message.
- Click send.
I promise it is easier than it sounds!